- Queen’s ‘New Budget Model’ Event: In response to Member concerns about the workings and ramifications of the “New” or “Activity-Base” budget model implemented at Queen’s, QUFA commissioned Professor Emeritus John Holmes to prepare a review and critique of it. That report is available on our website here. Professor Holmes will be joining QUFA’s Council on October 19, 1pm, Chernoff #213, to talk to us about his findings and their implications and all are welcome to attend the public portion of the meeting.
- QUFA Adjunct Workshop and Social: Please join us on October 25 for a Q&A on Term Adjunct Rights of Appointment and Promotion at the Douglas Library E-Classroom from 1-3pm. For background information click here . Bring your questions to the workshop to talk to QUFA staff. Following this workshop, we’re holding a special “Quaff with QUFA” to honour the continuing struggle for fairness for Contract Academics in Canada. Join us at the Grad Club at 3pm – the first ‘quaff’ is on QUFA and all are welcome. No RSVP is required for either event.
- Queen’s Tuition Support Benefit Deadline is November 1: More information can be found on the Queen’s Human Resources Page: http://www.queensu.ca/humanresources/wellness-accessibility/employee-benefits/tuition-support-plan.
- Laurentian University Faculty Association is on Strike: Our LUFA colleagues have been on the picket lines since September 28. You can follow news of the strike here: https://lufappul.ca/wp/?lang=en.
- Preparing for Bargaining in 2019: QUFA will bargain a new collective agreement in 2019. The Executive Committee invites Members who are interested in getting involved in any aspect of bargaining to get in touch. Please contact Executive Director Leslie Jermyn if you wish to volunteer or if you have questions.
- Canadian Association of University Teachers (CAUT) Term Adjunct Survey: This is the first ever national survey of Term Adjunct Academic Staff. It will collect much needed data on the experiences of those who work without continuing contracts. Please find more information here and, if you’re a Term Adjunct, please take the time to complete the survey: https://caut.limequery.org/151696?lang=en.
- CAUT Get Science Right Petition: We need to make sure the government acts on the recommendations of the Advisory Panel on Federal Support for Fundamental Science. It’s important the government hear from Canada’s academic research community. Please take a moment to sign the CAUT petition to Get Science Right.
- QUFA Meetings: The next Council meeting is October 19 (see above). See here for all QUFA and related events.