1. QUFA Lunch & Learn: Assertive Communication: One way to head off conflict is to handle communications with the right tone. Join us to learn about communication styles and how to refine yours for the workplace (see here for more information). To be held at the University Club on March 26, 12:15pm. Soup, rolls and beverages will be provided to those who sign up. Please RSVP to Elizabeth Polnicky by email or telephone (613-533-2151) by March 19.
2. Meet Kingston Provincial Election Candidates: QUFA has invited the candidates of the four major parties to come to Queen’s to talk about their platforms and take your questions (see here for more information). Join us at the University Club, George Teves Room at 2:30pm on March 23, no RSVP required. We will follow candidate presentations with a Q&A and the opportunity to mingle with the candidates informally during a Quaff with QUFA event at the same location.
3. QUFA Annual Lecture with Ira Wells: Professor Ira Wells (University of Toronto) will be joining us to talk about the hot-button issue of free speech on university campuses. His talk is titled “Virtue Signals: Anti-Intellectualism and the Weaponization of Free Speech on Campus” and will be held at 2pm, April 6th, at Wallace Hall (JDUC). This event is free and open to the Queen’s Campus Community. This will be followed by a Quaff with QUFA at the University Club – QUFA Members and guests welcome.
4. QUFA Council Meets with Provost Bacon: The Provost has agreed to visit QUFA Council again this year to talk to us about matters of concern to QUFA Members. Council is set for March 20, 1:30pm, McDonald Hall 1. All QUFA members welcome.
5. Nominations 2018: We invite any members interested in getting more involved with QUFA committees to get in touch. Please contact Executive Director Leslie Jermyn or Vice President Stevenson Fergus who chairs the committee.
6. Worldviews Webcast “Free speech on campus: Challenges for minority rights and democratic values”: Please save the date for the Fourth annual Worldviews Lecture on Media and Education to be held in Toronto on April 5, 1:30pm to 4:00pm. Professor Sigal Ben-Porath will give a lecture followed by a panel discussion moderated by Rick Salutin. You can participate via webcast and registration is required: http://worldviewsconference.com.
7. QUFA Meetings: The Spring General Meeting is scheduled for April 19, 1:15pm, Ellis Hall Auditorium. See here for all QUFA and related events.