The QUFA Digest resumes with the new term. For new QUFA members, the Digest is a short list of events or details we believe will be of interest to you. This month’s mailout is lengthier than usual but it contains some important deadlines, events and information.
1. Celebration of Life for Nancy McCormack: Join members of the Queen’s Law community and Queen’s Library to remember Professor Nancy McCormack on September 13, 2:30-4pm, Macdonald Hall, Student Lounge, #101. Please rsvp via Doodle Poll by 4pm on Monday, September 9.
2. QUFA Events in September:
a. Please join us for a QUFA Family Barbecue on September 12, at 4:30pm at Breakwater Park – food and refreshments provided for QUFA members and their families.
b. The following week, on September 20th, QUFA will run its second annual QUFA Walks guided campus tour. The tour will convene at 1:30pm at the Indigenous Commemorative Plinth and end at 3:30 at the University Club for a Quaff with QUFA. All welcome to either event!
3. Pension News:
a. Update Coming: The September issue of QUFA’s newsletter, Voices, due out near the end of this month, will have an article with a full update on pension matter
b. University Pension Plan Consent: Sufficient consent from pension plan members at Queen’s, Guelph and Toronto was reached in June 2019 so that the parties can continue to create the new pension plan.
c. QUFA Pension Committee: We are looking for members who are knowledgeable about and/or interested in pensions and who are willing to help us navigate the transition to a sponsorship role with the UPP. If you are willing to join this committee in the coming year, please contact Leslie Jermyn (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Paul Young (email@example.com).
d. New Normal Retirement Date for QUFA Members: You may now activate your full Queen’s pension in the month you turn 65 rather than having to wait until June 30th of the year you turn 65. Contact Queen’s Pension Services for more information: http://www.queensu.ca/humanresources/total-compensation/pension-services
4. Important Benefit Deadlines:
a. Adjunct Fund for Scholarly Research and Creative Work and Professional Development: October 7, 2019. See here
b. Tuition Support: November 1, 2019. See here: http://www.queensu.ca/humanresources/wellness-accessibility/employee-benefits/tuition-support-plan.
5. QUFA Student Accommodations Working Group: We are hearing from members that managing ongoing and one-off student requests for accommodations of disabilities and illnesses is time consuming. Executive members Anya Hageman (Economics, firstname.lastname@example.org) and Shane Pinder (Physics, email@example.com) are heading an informal working group to explore these issues across campus and consider ways that QUFA might help members better cope with these demands. Please contact either one of them if you would be willing to participate in this project.
6. Benefit Cost Reduction: Good news for QUFA members! The premium rate for long term disability (LTD) coverage decreased by 14% from 2.129% to 1.831% of monthly salary. This change was implemented in the July payroll.
7. CAUT Librarians and Archivists Conference: The 2019 Canadian Association of University Teachers Librarians’ & Archivists’ Conference (October 25-26) will investigate and discuss the reality of academic libraries and archives across Canada as they face reorganization and restructuring, which can threaten the positions and work of librarians and archivists, and undermine traditions of collegial governance. See here for details: https://www.caut.ca/event/librarians-and-archivists-conference.
8. QUFA Office Closure: The QUFA office may be closing for a day or two in the next weeks while renovation work is being completed. We will post this on our website and we apologize for any inconvenience caused.