Last year Queen’s approved a policy called Academic Consideration for Extenuating Circumstances. It is not included in the Collective Agreement, but we at QUFA are wondering how it is working and would like your feedback on whether and how it might be affecting working conditions.
When first learning about it, Members made the following comments in the abstract:
- that it might affect academic freedom in teaching
- that it might affect the teaching-learning environment
- that it inserts a layer between the student and the professor, for good or for ill
- that it alleviates a professor’s responsibility to make sometimes-difficult decisions in a vacuum
- that it could create extra work
Have you had experience with it? We encourage both positive and negative comments and look forward to hearing from you.
24 May 2018
Ramneek Pooni can be reached at email@example.com