- A New Year Begins: Welcome to all new Queen’s University Faculty Association Members and welcome back to returning Members. Each month during the academic year, we’ll send you a QUFA Digest email like this with brief announcements about important events and documents relevant to QUFA matters, to higher education and to Queen’s faculty, librarians and archivists.
- QUFA Council: Each month till May, QUFA convenes a meeting of its Council which is composed of representatives from each unit or grouping of units. Unit representation can be found here (http://qufa.ca/about/contacts-and-organization/). If your unit does not have a representative, please contact Leslie Jermyn (details below) for more information about how to become a QUFA Rep. The next Council meeting is September 19.
- Unit Visits: Does your unit have unique concerns about working conditions you want QUFA to know about? Do you and your colleagues have questions for the Association? If so, contact Leslie Jermyn to make arrangements for a QUFA visit to your unit in the coming months.
- October 7 is World Day for Decent Work: Watch for announcements about events at Queen’s to rally for decent work for all.
- New Report on Contract Academic Faculty: Cynthia Field and Glen Jones have prepared a report that addresses the lack of evidence to guide debate on the quickly growing population of university instructors who work on short-term contracts. See it here (https://ciheblog.wordpress.com/2016/08/15/new-report-on-sessional-faculty-in-ontario-universities/).
- International Matters: QUFA sent financial support to the Concordia University Faculty Association for their campaign to free Dr. Homa Hoodfar who is being detained in Iran. There is more information on the Concordia University Faculty Association page (http://cufa.net/home/). QUFA also wrote to the Turkish Ambassador and Stephan Dion to urge the Turkish government to respect civil liberties and the rule of law. See the QUFA Solidarity page (http://qufa.ca/solidarity/).
- QUFA Meetings: See here for all QUFA and related events.