Welcome to the new term! The Digest resumes as a monthly email highlighting information of interest to QUFA Members.
1. QUFA Council Rep Training Tomorrow: If you’re a new or returning Unit Representative to QUFA Council, please join us tomorrow (Friday) at 12-2pm at the University Club (lower level) for a lunch and learn training. RSVP right away to firstname.lastname@example.org so we have enough food and materials on hand.
2. QUFA is Preparing to Bargain a New Collective Agreement: The current contract between Queen’s and QUFA expires April 2015. The QUFA Bargaining Team wants to hear from you about issues of concern starting with Compensation & Benefits. Please join us on 1 October, 3-4:30pm, KHS 101 (Kinesiology & Health Studies) – all welcome. There will be two more meetings on October 30 and November 24 to consider pensions and the move to online teaching – watch the Digest and the Events page of the website for details.
3. QUFA Council Representation: 1 July marked the beginning of new terms for QUFA Councillors and committee volunteers. Please make sure your unit is represented on Council in the coming year. Guidelines for how to fill these positions are here. See here for a full list of QUFA committees and their current members and contact Leslie Jermyn if you’d like to get involved.
4. CAUT Equity Networks: The Canadian Association of University Teachers has created four networks of Academic Staff from across the country that will be consulted electronically to help CAUT advance equity in CAUT and among member associations. These are Academic Staff with Disabilities, Racialized Academic Staff, LGBTQ2S Academic Staff, and Women Academic Staff. If you would like to be part of any of these networks, please contact Leslie Jermyn.
5. “Faculty Associations in the 21st Century: Learning from the past – Shaping the future,” OCUFA Conference: 24 October, Toronto. See here for details and registration.
6. “From Talk to Action,” CAUT Academic Librarians & Archivists Conference: 31 October-1 November, Ottawa.
7. QUFA Meetings: Next Council is Sept 18; First Member Meeting on Bargaining Issues is October 1. See here for a full list of QUFA meetings.
If you have comments or ideas for future Digests, contact me.